Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Succulents in tea lights

These are cuttings from my Hen and Chicks plant
Varying in size, color and type amplifies cute factor

This is my most recent succulent project.  These adorable little pots were originally filled with tea lights.  I lit the candles and they latest all of 20 minutes (such a rip)!  I love that they are hand painted and I really wanted to find another use for them.  It didn't take long to think of my succulents. :)
* First:  I filled the mini pots with a pinch of gravel and topped with succulent soil.
* Second:  I clipped the cuttings from my Hen and Chicks.  See the pic below.
*Third: I trimmed the stems of the cuttings very short (about 1/4 inch) and stuck them in the soil.
When dealing with succulent cuttings in general, it is usually a good idea to let the cutting callus over before placing it in the soil.  You can do that by laying the cutting on a small plate and leave it alone for a few days.  Some people even dip it in a rooting hormone before planting.  I chose not to do any of this today because Hens and Chicks are really easy to root and I didn't feel like waiting.  Unlike most other plants, it is best NOT to water your chicks after planting. Wait at least a of couple weeks. Due to the fact these pots are so small they are only going to need about 1 tsp of water at a time, every 2 weeks or so.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! That photo titled Succulents growing out of rocks in Positano. I have plants exactly like that and have not been able to figure out what kind of plant it is. Is there anyway that you know? teresatorres269@gmail

    ReplyDelete